Monday, February 20, 2006

Conferences and a Conference

I've been having conferences with my students recently (Thursday, Friday, and today). Instead of having class as usual, I meet individually with each of my students to discuss their writing. I like conferencing with my students, but it takes up a lot of time. Our class typically meets for a 75 minute block; a complete set of conferences (15 minutes per student) takes over 4 hours. I think I only have one conference left today, so I'm almost finished with that for today....

The department here hosted a graduate student conference this past weekend. The theme for the conference was "Passing and Questions of Legitimacy." I worked at the registration desk on both Friday and Saturday. I didn't present any papers at the conference, but I still had a good time. There were quite a few people here who presented some very good papers. While we were concerned about the weather, there was only one presenter who was unable to be here due to weather delays and canceled flights....

It's still cold out this morning (and there's still snow and ice on the ground), but not quite as bitter as it was on Saturday....

No comments: