Friday, August 11, 2006

Homehome (More or Less)

I'm back!! I had a wonderful trip homehome, and now I'm back to start the new school year. I have orientation starting this Monday, and classes start next Monday. I have quite a bit of work to get done in the next few days....

Anyway, in my blog today I think I'll tell a few stories from homehome....

Mom's Rhinestone Necklace
Mom got a new dress. (Now, you should understand that Mom doesn't wear dresses except on really special occasions--weddings, graduations, first communions, things like that. Therefore, getting a new dress is kinda a big deal. Jared, my nephew is getting married this weekend, so that's the occasion. Also, congrats to Jared and Kristi; wish I could be there. Okay, back on topic, necklace....) So, while I was homehome, I was helping Mom decide what to wear with her pretty new dress. We'd figured out what shade of pantyhose worked and which shoes looked the best, and then I said something about how a necklace would really add to the outfit. I promptly went rummaging through the old jewelry that I had left at homehome (most of which was the cheap jewelry that turns your skin green) just to see if we could figure out what would look right. We found a simple little necklace that was still in decent condition, but then Mom decided to look through her jewelry boxes to see if she had anything. (Besides her rings and an occasional lapel pin, Mom wears jewelry about as frequently as she wears dresses.) Anyway, after opening a few boxes, Mom found a very pretty rhinestone necklace that Dad had given her as a gift probably about 50 years ago, and decided to try it on with her dress. It fit with the outfit perfectly. (She couldn't be convinced to wear the screw-on earrings though.) Dad came in while Mom was still all dressed up. Mom asked Dad is he recognized the necklace; his reply "Wow, I haven't seen that one in 40 years!" I laughed.

Fighting with Windmills
Dad had a fight with one of the windmills this past week. The windmill wasn't working properly, so Dad tried to fix it. When he went to try to fix the windmill and it wouldn't cooperate, he hit it. The windmill bit back. Dad ended up with a little gash in his hand (which probably should have had a stitch or two, but Dad wouldn't go to the doctor) and ended up calling the windmill fixer people to come out and fix the windmill. It's fixed now....

Water, Water Everywhere....
Okay, so this isn't a homehome story.... Jimmy took me to play at a waterpark yesterday. (I got a little pink.) We spent most of the afternoon going down big waterslides and enjoying the water. I don't think I'd ever been to a waterpark before, and it was kind of fun. (Okay, English major question: From what work, and what author, does the title of this little section come? And no, you can't google the quote to find the answer. Well, I guess you could, but that would be cheating, wouldn't it.)

No comments: