Saturday, August 12, 2006

Getting Ready for 'Back in the Swing of Things'

Ahhh, I spent most of the day today getting things ready for the upcoming semester. Orientation for TAs starts on Monday, so I need to have most of my stuff in order by then. I spent most of my afternoon working in my office. Actually, I spent time and moving from my old office to my new office, and then I worked in the office. While the new office is supposed to be a step up (a statue increase) it's really not too wonderful. There actually isn't as much space in the new office as there was in my old office. Instead of bookshelves and open space, we now have file cabinets and files that have to be stored for another semester. Also, I have a new officemate (three of us share the office, two of us have shared an office for the last two years), so there's more adjusting to new people, habits, and schedules. Though I like the windows in my new office, part of me would just like my old office back.

Karen and I went in search of a table for the Writing Center yesterday. We were sent to the college surplus place, which is basically a really big warehouse in a not-so-wonderful part of town that is crammed full of lots of random pieces of furniture and stuff from the last I don't know how many years. We managed to find a desk suitable for our purposes, and we were even able load it in the car without too much trouble. We were just relieved to get the desk without too much trouble or excitement....

I'm hoping to get my syllabus finished tomorrow and get a little paperwork done too. Hopefully I'll be able to get everything finished before the semester actually starts....

No comments: