Thursday, April 27, 2006

Reading Days and Poetry Readings

Well, Tuesday and Wednesday were our official 'reading days,' and finals started today. While I like the idea of 'reading days,' I somehow found both days to be thoroughly unproductive. I spent most of Tuesday recovering from very late night that I spent finishing up the paper that was due Monday. I got the last of my grading finished yesterday, but other than that, Wednesday wasn't too productive either. Today wasn't much better. I finally managed to finish the last of the Victorian novels of the semester (Aurora Floyd by Mary Elizabeth Braddon), but I didn't get mush else accomplished. I'm hoping to be able to write most (or all) of my last paper tomorrow, though I might make a trip back to the art museum in the afternoon. (I need to go back and take a look at a few paintings since I have to talk about them in my paper.)

Today's unproductivity was aided by a poetry reading at the Performing Arts Center this evening. One of my colleagues in the department had an extra ticket to the reading, so she took me along. Anyway, the reading was by Billy Collins, former U.S. Poet Laureate (2001-2003) and current New York State Poet Laureate (2004-06). While I wasn't familiar with much of Collins' work (save the "Introduction to Poetry" that's in the literature anthology that I use in my writing classes), I really enjoyed the evening. The pieces that he read were quite diverse and enjoyable, and the audience responded well to both his writing and to his presentation. I certainly had a good time, and I don't even feel to guilty that I was spending my time doing something other than studying or reading.

No comments: