Sunday, June 10, 2007

Over 1,000....

That's how many essays I read in Louisville throughout this past week. I don't have any exact count of how much I read, but I know I read at least 1,000 (mostly mediocre) student essays. I flew home today, and it sure is good to be home.

However, I thought I would use today's blog to recount some of the things I did/learned in Louisville.

*I learned lots of new words while I was reading essays. I kept a new words list from the week, but I don't think would be allowed to share it here due to institutional and student confidentiality issues.

*I watched horses run at Churchill Downs. I didn't place any bets, but I got to sit on the front row and watch the horses race past the finish line. The horses run very fast.

*I learned how baseball bats are made at the Louisville Slugger Museum and Factory. Their special exhibit, which was also pretty cool, was on Snoopy and baseball.

*I learned that the Ohio River is beautiful from the 23rd floor of a hotel, but not nearly so pretty from up close.

*I saw Sir Philip Sidney's armor and lots of chainmail, swords, and guns at the Frazier International History Museum. In addition to the weapons, they also had a pretty cool children's exhibit on dragons.

*I drank Bourbon.

*I learned that horses fly on airplanes. (We saw the airplane that transports race horses as our plane was leaving Louisville.)

I'm sure there's more stuff to report, but I think that'll be it for tonight. I was up at 5am to pack and everything, and I'm tired.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So the phrase "When pigs fly" might NOT mean never???

Anonymous said...

Are you sure "horses flying" and "drinking Bourbon" aren't somehow connected?

Anonymous said...

I think that's pink elephants, isn't it?

ginabnina said...

Hey, I didn't drink THAT much Bourbon!!

There were no pink elephants, horses do fly on planes, and I guess pigs might be able to fly too (or at least they could hop the horses' plane to Churchill Downs if there were ever pig races there.)

ginabnina said...

Other things I did on my trip that I forgot to include when I posted the blog:

**I saw Wrigley Field and the Sears Tower from the plane when we flew over Chicago.

**I took a city bus for the first time ever.

**I ate sushi and actually kinda liked it. (I didn't eat any with raw fish in it, but what I did have wasn't too bad. Everything I'd had before had been yucky.)

**I developed a liking for almonds.