Monday, July 24, 2006

Faulkner in Oxford

Jimmy and I made the drive back from Mississippi today; it certainly felt like lots of hours in the car....

Anyway, I had a good experience at the conferences. I presented a paper at the 'Southern Writers, Southern Writing' graduate student conference, and then I stayed an extra couple of days to attend the annual 'Faulkner and Yoknapatawpha Conference.' The graduate student conference was fun, but a little small. The other conference was certainly larger, but I was only able to stay for a few days of that conference. (Jimmy wanted to be back for his class tonight, and the funds weren't really available for a greatly extended stay.)

We got to see quite a few things while we were in Oxford. We got to take a double-decker bus tour through the town. We visited Rowan Oak (Faulkner's home) and Faulkner's grave. We got to see the town square on the tour, with the historic court house and city hall, and we had some time to go back and wander around the square on our own too. While the town was certainly capitalizing on the whole Faulkner thing, I still liked the town. I think it's the kind of place that I would like to live someday....

I took pictures on the trip, but I haven't developed them yet. Maybe someday I'll post them....

No comments: