Tuesday, June 06, 2006

(B/T)each Bum

Still grading papers in Florida....

The scoring's going well, though I'm a little slow in the mornings. (I do manage to work at a very nice rate in the afternoons though.) Our entire group (all 350ish of us) is a little behind our schedule. We worked an extra half hour today to try to catch up. I'm not too mentally exhausted at this point, but I'm getting tired of reading mediocre essays about Oscar Wilde's Lady Windermere's Fan. (Not all of the essays are mediocre; some are really well-written. However, I'm not all that impressed with most of the writing.) At this point, I don't know how many essays I've read; maybe they'll tell me at the end of the week....

I've been playing on the beach in the evenings. The ocean was a bit rough this evening. I just let the waves crash into me. I also walked around on the beach for a while picking up sea shells. (I didn't find many that were very large, but it was still fun.) I browsed through some of the tourist and beachfront shops yesterday. I picked up a few little things, but nothing too big or exciting.

We finally got the whole hotel fiasco straightened out.... When we--myself and about 150 other people--arrived, we were told that we would not be staying in the main hotel reserved for the ETS program and located right across the street from our convention center. (Apparently the people in charge hadn't reserved enough hotel rooms to accommodate for all of the readers.) Anyway, they ended up putting us up in a hotel nearly 3 miles away, and we were left relying on shuttle busses to get back and forth between our locations. (This wouldn't have been so bad had the busses had consistent schedules. Basically, we knew that they were supposed to send busses about every 20 minutes, but there was never any real type of consistent schedule.) So, after lots of complaints from unhappy people about the inconvenience, they finally moved us to a closer (and much, much nicer) hotel. I'm now just down the street (less than half a block) from the convention center in a very nice hotel room with an amazing view of the beach. I guess this makes up for the inconvenience of the shuttle and all that stuff....

1 comment:

Johnny Introvert said...

I've always wondered how all those AP exams got graded. Does that 350-strong army consist entirely of grad students? And are you grading all the AP exams taken in the whole country?