Saturday, March 18, 2006

Returning to the Technological World....

And I'm back home after my trip homehome for Spring Break. I spent most of my break with Mom and Dad; I got to sleep in a bit most mornings, study my Spanish during the afternoons, play some Killer Bunnies with Eric and Gordon (two of my nephews who decided to spend a few days at Grandma and Grandpa's house instead of visiting colleges with their parents and older sister), spend some time visiting with family, and finish a few knitting projects. (Now that the weather's warming up, I finally have my very own knitted scarf. I've made scarves for quite a few of my friends over the past several years, but I hadn't ever made one for myself.) Anyway, I came back home yesterday. Robert Louis Stevenson was my travel buddy via an audio recording of Treasure Island, and I made an afternoon stop at Sterling College (my alma mater) to visit with Dr. Gannon, one of the professors in the Department of English there.

After I returned home, Jimmy took me out for St. Patrick's Day. We first decided to go to one of the Irish pubs in town, but we decided against that after seeing the terrible traffic in the area and noting that their celebrations were scheduled to be outside (it was starting to rain). We then set out for another bar/pub, but we were distracted by a bookstore that we'd never noticed before. ("You know you're a graduate student when you end up in a bookstore on the way to the pub.") After the bookstore, we ended up at a little bar and grill and managed to get a pair of non-green beers and seats near the televisions which, of course, were broadcasting the NCAA tournament games. So, after watching KU lose, we simply decided to call it a night....

Most of the day today has been spent reading. While I did take some of my books home over break, the one that I most need to finish by Monday managed to get left at my house. Thus I've spent most of the day reading Hardy's Tess of the d'Urbervilles. Though it's a rather slow read, I'm enjoying the book. I've read some other works by Hardy before, but this is a first read for this work. Jimmy managed to pull me away from the book for a while tonight. We went to the theatre to see V for Vendetta. I was a little reluctant to see the film as I'm not a fan of comic books (or fantasy or science fiction), but I actually liked the film. The movie was made by quite a few of the same people who worked on The Matrix, and there were certainly some similarities. I don't think I'll be using this film in any upcoming scholarly projects, but who knows....

No comments: