Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Grammar

Okay, so I just got out of class for the day.... Anyway, I just spent part of the last three hours discussing grammar rules and the varied changes through which our language is currently going. (Rule #1 when studying languages: Language is always changing.) As a class, we decided that infinitives can be split (but we already knew that), contractions are appropriate in formal writing, the first person is acceptable in formal writing, apostrophes will probably disappear within the next 20 years, and pronoun-antecedent agreement can be compromised for the sake of gender inclusiveness. Though I'm not sure I necessarily agree with all of these assertions (I still take issue with the last two), I am quite interested in the changes through which our language has gone and those changes through which it will eventually go. Any thoughts on what else might happen to our wonderful language in the coming decades?

No comments: