Friday, April 27, 2007

And His Name Is....

No, I'm not pregnant. And no, we didn't get a dog.

I've decided that I need to name my rosebush. I spent a few more hours today cleaning brush and junk out of my soon-to-be-garden, and I think my rosebush needs a name. The rosebush is beginning to bloom, and the roses are yellow--a soft, pale, almost-white yellow, and not the bright yellow that you usually see in the flower shop. (Did you know that the yellow rose is not the state flower of Texas!! Dad used to sing 'The Yellow Rose of Texas' all the time; since Dad's originally from Texas, I thus--for some reason unbeknownst to me--always thought that the yellow rose was the Texas state flower. But it isn't. Apparently the Texas state flower is the bluebonnet. The bluebonnet? Who thought of that? Oh well, at least they have a state flower. All Oklahoma has is a state parasite that we try to pass off as a flower. I mean, mistletoe, a state flower? Really.... Hmmm, I digress.) Anyway, I'm still trying to figure out what to name my rosebush. I think it needs a 'he' name, though Jimmy and I thought it would be kinda cute to call it Petunia. Any ideas?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to have a rubber snake named FISH, so I guess you can name a rosebush Petunia.
Dad also used to sing about Sweet Adeline (or Adeleen, or something like that) who fell in the water up to ..... Do you remember that one?

ginabnina said...

Hmmm, I don't remember that song. I'll have to ask Dad sometime....

And I have a rubber mouse named Toad.

Anonymous said...

The "Sweet Adeline" that Dad sang is not the traditional barbershop quartet rendition. I don't remember the beginning at all, but the chorus you are right about, I think... "she fell into the water clear up to her ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies. How deep in the water sweet Adeline lies." or something like that?
Gina, you might ask about this one when Mom's not around. I don't think we are supposed to know it!
Haven't come up with any original rosebush names yet.

Anonymous said...

Yup, that's the one. I'm pretty sure Mom knows about it by now.
How about "Bud" for the rosebush?