Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Edward Albee

Edward Albee, perhaps my favorite 20th Century American playwrite, spoke in Tulsa this evening, and I made the trip in for the event. ("The Zoo Story," "The American Dream," and "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" are three of my absolute favorite plays. They're a little nuts, but they're brilliant.) I enjoyed the evening, but was a little disappointed with the overall content of the presentation. Albee talked about his life and his plays (which was expected and certainly very interesting), but then he spent quite a bit of the evening talking about politics (which wasn't quite expected and wasn't quite so interesting). While I'm certainly glad I went this evening, I now find that I have just a little less admiration for one of the contemporary writers that I had admired most.

No comments: