Monday, May 07, 2007

If I Wanted to Live in A Swamp....

If I wanted to live in a swamp, I would have moved to one...intentionally!! (Or I'd relocate to Okefenokee and live with Pogo. Pogo for President 2008!!) Anyway, the weather here has been completely nuts. While this is usually a relatively dry time of year (actually, any time of year is typically a relatively dry time of year), we've had rain here on 16 of the last 31 days. I've been wanting to put in a garden now that Jimmy and I have a backyard, but the backyard's been so wet that I haven't had a chance to do anything with the soil. A roto-tiller probably won't work very well if there's water standing where I want to till.

This crazy weather reminded me of something that happened when I was an RA in the residence halls at SC as an undergrad. Anyway, an international student from the Philippines arrived on campus, and she was asking a whole slew of questions about the US, about Kansas, and other questions about campus and American culture. She had a lot of very good questions, but there was one (and only one!) that made me laugh: "So, when is the wet season here?" My answer, after I controlled my laughter, "We don't have one." Hmmm, I guess maybe sometimes we do.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We were in Manhattan over the week-end. They are definitely having a wet season. Salina was flooded - I thing Great Bend is also.

Anonymous said...

Hate to tell you, but this year is normal weather for Tulsa. The last couple of years were considered drought conditions. The Spring there is usually very wet, but letting up in May or June to heavy humidity with less frequent rains. Might get dry in July and August. Maybe.

Anonymous said...

I wish you could send SOME of that rain this way. However, I certainly won't complain about the weather considering what so many are going through.

ginabnina said...

Jimmy checked the weather forecast today. They're predicting rain here for the next 8 days. He's a little bummed 'cause gas prices are going up and he can't take his scooter everywhere. (Though I'm not a scooter enthusiast, I do like that the thing gets 80+ miles per gallon.)

Anonymous said...

Here in North East KS spring is generally fairly wet. However the last couple of weeks have been pretty wet here. We haven't had this kind of flooding in quite a while. Good thing my home town is up on a Flint Hill. I doubt we'll get to mow before my sisters' graduations this coming weekend. LT