Saturday, March 31, 2007

"Wait a Minute, I Got Married..."

Well, it's been a busy week....

The wedding was last Saturday, and it all went beautifully. The whole day was generally a lot of fun. I haven't seen very many pictures yet, but I'm eagerly awaiting a phone call from the photographer....

Jimmy and I flew out early on Sunday morning for a little honeymoon in Washington D.C. We'd both been to D.C. before, so we got to spend the trip seeing the things that we either wanted to see again or hadn't seen before. We went to the International Spy Museum, the National Postal Museum, the National Gallery of Art, the Folger Shakespeare Library, the Library of Congress, the Pope John Paul II Cultural Center, and various other places. While I enjoyed visiting most of the places that we went, I particularly enjoyed the Postal Museum, the Shakespeare Library, and Ford's Theatre. I was a bit disappointed by the JPII Cultural Center; I was expecting a museum and it was more of a cultural/convention center. I probably would have enjoyed the Spy Museum and the National Archives more if they hadn't been packed with children who were apparently on school trips to D.C.

Our honeymoon was generally pretty low key. However, we stayed at the Hotel Rouge, a fancier-than-usual little place, and went out for a fancier-than-usual dinner one night which was followed by a limo tour of the D.C. area. We flew back home on Wednesday so Jimmy could be back to work on Thursday morning.

I feel like I've spent the last couple of days just trying to put my house back in order. (My absolutely wonderful family came down for the wedding, and my house--now our house--was Grand Central Station. The back room got turned into a flower shop, the kitchen became a cafeteria, and the rest of the house was either visiting space or work space as needed.) Between all of the traffic from the past week, the wedding gifts and stuff (decorations, etc), and the recent return from a trip, there's a lot of work to be done before the house looks like I think it should. Most of today was spent in the back yard; tomorrow I'm staying in the house.


A Story: "Wait a Minute, I Got Married...."
On Sunday night (after a long day involving airplanes, problems with check-in at the hotel, and some sight-seeing), Jimmy and I decided to go find a pub where we could just sit back and have a beer or two. We pulled out our little D.C. guidebook and decided to go to The Brickseller (the bar that's in the in the Guinness Book of World Records for bar with the most beers). Jimmy was very excited because they had Lithuanian beer. Anyway, after the first beer, I decided to make a trip to the ladies room. After trying to open a door in the ladies room the wrong way, I flippantly remarked, "Well, you can tell I've never been here before." Another young woman replied, "I've only been in town two days, and this is my third visit to this bar. They have the cheapest beers in town." I replied, "We decided to check the place out because my fiance...oh, wait a minute...I got married yesterday...that means he's my husband...well, my husband was hoping they'd have Lithuanian beer here...." The lady laughed, offered her congratulations, and asked if my husband and I would like to join her and her friends; I politely refused, but I'm sure I left her with a little story to tell her friends....

1 comment:

Johnny Introvert said...

I know I'm kinda late in saying this, but Congratulations, Gina!